CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Charles River, in cooperation with Johns Hopkins University's Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing (CAAT), is pleased to announce that nominations are now being accepted for the 2023 Excellence in Refinement Award.
This award, which is given every three years, will be presented in Niagara Falls, Canada at the 12th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences 27-31 August 2023.
The Charles River Excellence in Refinement Award, consisting of a suitably inscribed plaque, a travel stipend up to $2000 maximum, and a $5000 honorarium to further the recipient's scientific endeavors, is given to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the development, promotion and/or implementation of refinement alternatives. The nominee may be a resident of any country. All monies are in USD.
Nomination packet should include:
1. Curriculum vitae with bibliography
2. Brief sketch of nominee’s professional background
3. Statement pertaining to his/her qualifications for the award
4. Two professional letters from individuals or associations familiar with the nominee’s work
The award criteria include:
1. Publications and presentations in the field of laboratory animal science, welfare or ethics
2. Teaching and training activities that foster the highest standards of working with animals in science and education
3. Public outreach supporting the 3Rs
4. Involvement in development of national, regional or public policy enhancing the 3Rs
5. Strength of nomination letters
6. Contributions to the implementation of the 3Rs in biomedical research
7. Other attributes not covered above that should be considered, such as grants to enhance animal care and use programs or involvement in professional organizations (particularly leadership roles).
The completed nomination packet must be received no later than February 28. Nominations should be sent electronically directly to CAAT at firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be contacted.
For more information please see the Charles River website. This page also has a link to the CAAT website with further information on the award.